Search This Blog

Sunday 7 February 2016

Pancake Tuesday

It's a busy week celebration wise. Monday February 8th is the start of the Chinese New Year, Tuesday February 9th is Shrove Tuesday and the Sunday 14th is Valentine's Day. 

Phew! How to fit it all in?!?! 

This is my second post today focusing on Pancake Tuesday. 

Pancake Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) precedes Ash Wednesday, which marks the start of Lent. It is celebrated by eating pancakes before the period of fasting begins. I have great fun bringing pancakes into my class. I usually do an art related lesson too for Pancake Tuesday but I keep it simple. The kids draw their favourite pancake toppings or disgusting pancake toppings. I like to link this to literacy by doing some procedural writing or creative writing. 

I love to read 'Mr Wolf's Pancakes' on Pancake Tuesday. The ending is unexpected to say the least ;) After reading the story sometimes we design aprons for Mr Wolf or print pancake toppings using fruit and vegetables. 

Below is a link to an apron template but I just draw a very basic outline in black marker for the younger classes. 

Experiment printing with lots of different fruit and vegetables. Some of my favourite are lemons, celery, peppers, lettuce and mushrooms. 




Enjoy your pancakes! I'm looking forward to slathering mine in chocolate and bananas! Yum! 


No comments:

Post a Comment